I thought maybe you would all like something to get you in a "Christmasy" mood. How do you like those baggy briefs? And did anyone notice the holes in the seats?
But the best is that beautiful Badlands "tree"! (Look at both pictures for the full effect.) That is definitely a Charlie Brown tree if there ever was one. I remember more than one Christmas when Mom would ask if that was the best tree Dad could find, and him replying, "We've only got a couple of decent trees on this place and I'm not cutting them down to stick them in a bucket!" LOL
I keep promising Beckie that I will post some memories...so here is a story for you.
Growing Up Rural - The Surgeon
When I was elementary school I got stabbed in the finger with a pencil which broke off inside. The teacher could not get the piece out so he hauled me home. I remember Dad sterilizing his pocket knife in the flame of the kitchen range and then he began to dig out the piece of wood and lead that was wedged next to the bone in my finger. Mom was holding me so I wouldn't move. Of course I was bawling like a calf that had lost his mama. Then Dad says, "Quit yer crying, I saw a worse one on a cow one time." Naturally, I began to argue that "no cow ever had a piece of pencil in her finger." As we argued about whether or not a cow could get stuck by a pencil, and about the fact that they don't have fingers, it distracted me enough that he was able to remove it without further tears....which of course was his purpose in the conversation in the first place.
Dad always used to tell us that he saw a worse one on a cow, whatever the malady. And, whenever you fell down and hurt yourself, he would immediately start inspecting the floor to make sure you hadn't broken it as "your mom will be really upset if you break her floor."
Growing up Mom was always the caretaker, but Dad was always the surgeon! I guess we never thought about all the places that pocketknife had been! ewwww!
~Connie
No comments:
Post a Comment